Interpreting the instructions for use of medicines
During the assignment, pupils will learn:
- to understand why it is important to read the instructions for use of medicine before you start taking medicine.
- how to interpret the instructions for use of medicines.
For the teacher
It is a good idea to reserve a lesson for this assignment. The assignment can be implemented in a group or alone. This assignment supports the environmental science objectives O8 and O14 and content area C2 of the Finnish national core curriculum for grades 3–6.
The purpose is to orientate the basics of the actual use of the medicine by reading the instructions for the medicine.
Progress of the assignment:
1. Familiarise together to find out why a medicine should have instructions and where to find the instructions for use of medicine. (Over-the-counter medications instructions for the use are available on the medicine package. In the case of prescription medicines, the medicine package contains an instruction label with the instructions for use of the medicine written by the doctor.)
2. The pupils complete an interactive assignment or alternatively a printed handout.
3. Finally discuss together the instructions for use of the medicines and their correct answers.